Comments: Hey DJ, Stop Playing That Song

Most inappropriate wedding song ever, but played at every wedding I've attended. Great song though.

I Will Survive by Gloria Raynor

Just a sample:

I kept thinking I could never live
Without you by my side.
But then I spent so many nights
Just thinking how you’d done me wrong.
I grew strong.
I learned how to get along.

Posted by Laura at February 25, 2004 12:03 PM

Worst song at wedding (besides I Will Survive)

Michael Jackson's Billie Jean (unless you plan on explaining infidelity all through your marriage).

Heard it at a wedding last month.

-Lara Amber

Posted by Lara Amber at February 25, 2004 12:32 PM

I asked my fiance if we could play "White Trash Wedding" by the dixie chicks...just to see what he'd say...

"You can't afford no ring
I shouldn't be wearing white and you can't afford no ring

"You finally took my hand
It took a nip of gin
But you finally took my hand

"Mama don't approve
Daddy says he's the best in town
And mama don't approve

"Baby's on its way
Say I do and kiss me quick
'Cause baby's on its way

Needless to say, it won't be on our CD either ;) Funny song though...

Posted by A at February 25, 2004 12:51 PM

I have received 2 cd favors from weddings before; one I play constantly, and one is still in the trunk of my car. Not everything has to be a drippy ballad, but here are some songs I thought of that I love(and could be favor-appropriate) and maybe you and L will too:

Martin Sexton
Sarah McLachlan
Keep on pushing love--Al Green
Just you n me--Chicago
I need love--Sam Phillips
Love will keep us alive--Eagles
She's the one--World Party
Our love is here to stay--Ella Fitzgerald
We're the same--Matthew Sweet
Let my love open the door--Pete Townshend
It must be love--Rickie Lee Jones
Sweet thing--Rufus and Chaka Kahn
Darlin' be home soon--Lovin Spoonful
Beginnings--Chicago
Knocks me off my feet--Stevie Wonder(heck, any Stevie!)
We are in love--Harry Connick Jr.
And your bird can sing--Beatles
September--Earth Wind and Fire
I want you to want me--Letters to Cleo
Have you ever been in love--Celine Dion
Baby hold on--Eddie Money
L.O.V.E.--Natalie Cole
Here comes the sun--Beatles
Stay by me--Annie Lennox
By your side--Sade
Wild Horses--Sundays

Sorry if I went a little overboard, but I do that sometimes. Good luck!!

Jenn

Posted by Jenn at February 25, 2004 01:27 PM

Someone on theknot yesterday said that their wedding song is Garth Brook's The Dance. Sorry, but if you are dumb enough to pick a song about the end of a relationship as your first dance, I'm not helping you out.

Posted by Alison at February 25, 2004 04:07 PM

Hey, how about the classic wedding song:

"She's Having My Baby" by Paul Anka!

Posted by Mary K. at February 25, 2004 04:40 PM

Some of my favorites:

Marc Cohn - "True Companion"
Allison Krause - "When You Say Nothing At All"

And some of the worst:
Billy Idol - "White Wedding"
Sting - "Every Breath You Take" - a little possessive/obsessive?!

Posted by Susan at February 25, 2004 06:46 PM

Please no Michael Jackson, I just don't like him!! And don't forget Sunrise Sunset!!!!!
ILY both
MOB

Posted by MOB at February 26, 2004 09:30 AM

Maybe you could play the Rufus Wainwright song, "Instant Pleasure." The chorus is:

I don't wnat somebody to love me
Just give me sex whenever I want it
Cuz all I want is instant pleasure. Instant pleasure, instant pleasure.

Ahhh, the romance.

Posted by Cris at February 26, 2004 09:47 AM

I think we have a "no showtunes" policy, unless it's a good cover of a showtune. I know the Beatles did "Til There Was You" from the "Music Man," but unless the Stones covered Tevye, we'll try to find different music to satisfy our older demographic.

Cris, you've also stumbled upon another difficult task: finding lyrics that won't offend my grandmother. Maybe we can get one of those "Explicit" labels from the Parents Music Resource Center.

Posted by The Groom at February 26, 2004 10:11 AM

One of the best songs IMO is "Come What May" from the Mulin Rouge soundtrack. There's even a club-worthy mix. I also love "Please Forgive Me" by David Gray - which is not the sad I-screwed-up song it sounds like. The first lyrics go "Please forgive me if I act a little strange/For I know not what I do/Feels like lightening running through my veins/Every time I look at you."

Some of the worst (that haven't already been mentioned):
Some people actually use Dave Mathews Band's "Crash" as a first dance song. Dude..... seriously... read the lyrics.
Equally awful was a wedding I went to where the bride and groom actually did their first dance to "Brick House." She was indeed a very freaky girl.....

Posted by Malinda (Trevor.net's Bride) at February 26, 2004 11:01 AM

Post Script: I'm currently trying to figure out a song to dance with my father to (and preferably one that would also be appropriate for my love to dance with his mother to). So far, I have suggested Landslide by Stevie Nicks, and he has suggested In the Arms of the Angel by Sarah Mclaughlin and Love Has No Pride by Bonnie Rait (one of his favorite artists). After reading the lyrics, I've found *none* of those to be appropriate!

Posted by Malinda (Trevor.net's Bride) at February 26, 2004 11:04 AM

hey, what about INXS... I don't know the name, the one that starts, I, I was standing, you were there? :-)

Posted by cathy at February 26, 2004 11:27 AM

Anything from the Superbowl halftime show would be great, and totally appropriate for a wedding CD, or a first dance!

Posted by jt at February 26, 2004 11:34 AM

Ice cream- Sarah McLachlan
At Last- Ella Fitzgerlad?

Daughter-father, Mother-son dance: Wonderful World- Armstrong.

Posted by S at February 26, 2004 02:08 PM

Here are a few songs either from or considered for my wedding music:

The Cure: The Lovecats
k.d. lang: Big Big Love
Pet Shop Boys: I Wouldn’t Normally Do This Kind of Thing
Talking Heads: The Book I Read
Paul Weller: It's Written in the Stars
Thompson Twins: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire (or any version, but I'm fond of their cover)

And here are two very bad wedding songs indeed:
Cracker: Wedding Day
The Smiths: William, It Was Really Nothing

Posted by Francis at February 26, 2004 02:40 PM

(cringing at the memory even as I type)

I was once at a wedding where the bride and groom whooped it up to such tasteful lyrics as "I've got friends in low places" and "Why don't we get drunk and screw."

Posted by luxesto at February 26, 2004 03:40 PM

Don't include The Police's "Every breath you take" (Since you've gone I've been lost without a trace/I dream at night, I can only see your face/I look around, but it's you I can't replace/I feel so cold, and I long for your embrace/I keep crying baby, baby please) Yeah seriously creepy.

On our song list during dinner include:
"Let's stay together" by Al Green, "LOVE" by Natalie Cole, "It had to be you" by Frank Sinatra.

Posted by Clare at February 26, 2004 11:33 PM

Just wanted to throw in my suggestions for songs. Of course, I'm the first to admit that I'm sappy, but here are some of my favs:

"She's Got A Way" Billy Joel (Meaningful for husband and I)
"ove Will Keep Us Together" Captain & Tenille
"Love Of A Lifetime" Firehouse
"How Sweet It Is (To Be Loved By You) James Taylor
"Crazy Little Thing Called Love" Queen
"I Never Knew Love Like This Before" Stephanie Mills
Not much on country songs...but "It's Our Love" Faith Hill & Tim McGraw
"All My Life" Stphen Bishop. This is the theme from the movie Tootsie...and it was our first dance song. I cry everytime I hear it;especially the the end

AND Malinda, I dance to "A Song For My Daughter" by Ray Allaire. Again sort of cheesy, but it is a perfect daddy/daughter dance.

Good Luck!!

Posted by Meredith at February 27, 2004 03:34 PM

I've always been partial to Crazy Love by Van Morrison. I also think "Fools Rush In" by Elvis is a fun wedding song. For your CD..."Gold to Me" or "By My Side" by Ben Harper?

Posted by jb at February 27, 2004 05:49 PM

Before claiming all Ben Fold's Five should not be considered for a wedding song, consider "The Luckiest". It's a quirky odd song about love that for a while we had considered for our first dance (it's a bit quirky and tends to ramble for one verse more than it should)

Now we're back to the list of: Songbird (eva cassidy?), In your eyes (peter gabriel), Real Love (lennon), and some Sinatra tunes... Also At Last and Color my World (Chicago) have been considered....

But there's one more question.... band or dj? Since we've got an amazing R&B band, we're looking for something that fits their singers......

Oh...and one of my groomsman used Kiss Me, which was just very very sweet....

Enjoy the ride man. Love your site!

G

Posted by George Veitengruber at February 29, 2004 01:32 PM

Just thought of this today, though I read this entry ages ago.

Cowboy Junkies
Pale Sun, Crescent Moon (1993)
Anniversary Song

Have you ever seen a sight as beautiful
as that of the rain-soaked purple
of the white birch in spring?

Have you ever felt more fresh or wonderful
than on a warm fall night
under a Mackerel sky,
the smell of grapes on the wind?

Well I have known all these things
and the joys that they can bring
And I'll share them all for a cup of coffee
and to wear your ring

Have you ever had the pleasure of watching
a quiet winter's snow slowly gathering
like simple moments adding up?

Have you ever satisfied a gut feeling
to follow a dry dirt road that's beckoning you
to the heart of a shimmering summer's day?

Well I have known all these things
and the joys that they can bring
And I'll share them all for a cup of coffee
and to wear your ring

And I don't know how I survived those days
before I held your hand
Well I never thought that I would be the one
to admit that the moon and the sun
shine so much more brighter when
seen through two pairs of eyes than
when seen through just one

Have you ever seen a sight as beautiful
as a face in a crowd of people
that lights up just for you?

Have you ever felt more fresh or wonderful
as when you wake
by the side of that boy or girl
who has pledged their love to you?

Well I have known all these things
and the joys that they can bring
And now every morning there's a cup of coffee
and I wear your ring

Posted by Gracie at March 6, 2004 09:16 AM

I agree with the post about Ben Folds - I am considering "The Luckiest" for my weding song, but my fiance is a bit hung up on the last verse.

Love your site!

Posted by G at March 24, 2004 05:05 PM

Our "spotlight songs"

Processional: Trumpets Voluntary/Here Comes The Bride

Unity Candle: One Hand, One Heart (from West Side Story)

Recessional: Wedding March (Mendelsohn)

Intro For Bridal Party: Debating between A Little Help From My Friends (Beatles) and I'll Be There For You (a.k.a. theme from Friends)

Intro for B&G: All Things (Theme from Queer Eye for the Straight Guy)

First Dance: I Love You Just The Way You Are (Billy Joel)

Bride w/ Dad: Sunrise, Sunset (Fiddler On The Roof)

Groom w/ Mom: Unforgetable (Natalie & Nat King Cole)

Garter/Bouquet Toss: ??? (for bouquet, maybe The Rain, The Park And Other Things (The Cowsills) - the lyrics are about a girl with flowers in her hair)

Cake Cutting: Sugar, Sugar (The Archies)

Last Dance: I've Had The Time Of My Life (from Dirty Dancing)

Posted by Maggie at June 2, 2004 03:22 PM