Comments: Right Hand Green

My fiance and I were talking about this not to long ago. There is an old Scandanavian tradition where a woman recieves a ring for engagement, marriage, and the birth of the first child. I think a diamond exec heard about this and figured it was a great idea to capitalize on - but let's not wait until the first child. I told my fiance I felt terrible for him. He was expected to buy me an engagement ring - but that isn't enough. Then he needs to buy my a wedding band, and now that isn't enough either. And what does he get? A plain gold band.......

Posted by Malinda at January 7, 2004 01:27 PM

Yeah -- I'm both curious about this, because it recognizes that women can buy their own rings, thank you very much, and appalled by it, because despite the seemingly independent, feminist nature of the right hand ring, every ad I've seen shows a woman with a right hand ring AND a wedding or engagement band on her left hand. By coincidence, I'm buying a diamond ring from a friend of mine who sells antique jewelry. I'm calling it my birthday-present-to-myself ring. I will wear it on whichever hand/finger it fits the best!

Posted by the other L at January 7, 2004 01:31 PM

Hmm...I've been wearing rings--amber rings, silver rings, etc.--on my right hand for years. Do I get a prize for being ahead of the trend? Or am I only truly empowered if I buy a diamond?

Darn.

And that ring in the USA Today article--U.G.L.Y.

Posted by ChgoRed at January 7, 2004 01:44 PM

I have never understood these trends, it puts a lot of pressure on some people. The first thing people ask when you say you got engaged is "oh let me see the ring!" Well God forbid if it isn't a huge rock.

Posted by Kim at January 7, 2004 02:45 PM

In Serbian Orthodoxy married women wear their ring on their right hand and to wear a band or diamond on your right hand would be very bad luck.
In fact supersition says that if you do, you'll never get married.
But, hey you might have to be Serbian Orthodox for that shit to stick.

Posted by radmila at January 7, 2004 11:13 PM

I want a middle finger ring.

Posted by Abigail at January 20, 2004 01:24 PM

I know. You can email me directly using the link on the home page.

Posted by The Groom at January 23, 2004 10:28 AM

The liberated single women of the world wouldn't want to wear a diamond on their left hands, because then boys would think they were already engaged and they would lose their chances for the "real" thing, don't-cha-know?
It's the Serbian Orthodoxy curse backwards.
But whoops! I'm a dyke and I wear my wedding ring on my right hand.
So maybe I should get a left-hand ring?
Help, DeBeers! I'm so confused about how many diamonds I need and where to display them!

Posted by shannon at February 7, 2004 12:36 AM