Comments: The Couple That Votes Together...

From what I've heard from R., you guys did a great job to get out the vote. I love that picture of the two of you. It says so much...and mirrors how we were feeling here in CA. Our one part disappointment was met with 2 parts exhaustion of 4 long years of heading in the wrong direction, and the prospect of no end in sight. Thanks for fighting the good fight.
-J., in CA

Posted by J at November 3, 2004 07:22 PM

But did P.Diddy even vote himself??

Posted by E from Michigan at November 4, 2004 09:47 AM

He did vote, here in New York I believe, but some of the people who posed in ads for Citizen Change wearing "Vote or Die" T-shirts did not. Paris Hilton, for example. She will, of course, have to be killed.

Posted by Doug at November 4, 2004 09:55 AM

Amazing! Our local paper had that shot and I was stunned to come here and read that it was you and L. I hope you're both well rested now and enjoying your newlywed status.

Posted by Allie in Albany at November 4, 2004 10:47 AM

Z,Z and I were also there but earlier when the mood was subdued but still hopeful at around 11:30pm. Sorry we missed you. It reminds me of the classic Red Sox fan pose back in the old days. Let's just say, we have our work cut out for us....

Posted by moira at November 4, 2004 07:14 PM

I was one of those married in Oregon in March, and our marriage is now in question with the passage of Measure 36. I wrote the following letter and sent it to my local newspapers. Just thought your readers would like a little inside insight.

"Yesterday nearly one million of my fellow Oregonians agreed that my wife and I are second-class citizens undeserving of over 1,000 rights that heterosexual married couples take for granted. I can’t even begin to express how I feel. Anger, depression and sadness…yes, I feel all that. Disbelief, horror and nausea…those things and more. What I still can’t wrap my head around is what difference it makes to anyone else if we’re married or not, and also where to go from here. Canada is sounding pretty good right about now, let me tell you! Would that be running away or running to a safe, sane harbor? I’m just not sure. Friends and family have tried to comfort me, kindness that brings me to tears. Knowing that they are trying to understand my pain and sadness helps. As does the fact that over 700,000 people voted AGAINST Measure 36. It is still not enough to stop my tears. I don’t think anything can or will for a while, for I am in mourning for the souls of those who have cast these stones. What they are doing is evil being paraded around as morality and protection of tradition. When our children look back on this, it will be with the same shame we feel for what our ancestors did to slaves and Native Americans.

What is happening in this country-not just with gay rights but with the environment, the right to choose, health care, the list goes on and on-is frightening and wrong. A majority of Americans have chosen as a leader and representative a man who will stop at nothing to destroy civil rights for those he deems immoral and who lies as a matter of course. George Bush will leave this country in WORSE shape four years from now, and if there is an individual in America who thinks where we are now is OK, that person has their head firmly planted in the sand.

To my neighbors here who voted for Measure 36: you are wrong. You have taken a document that was meant to protect and used it for harm. If you think that you have won, you are deluding yourself. Hatred and injustice can never win in the end. Love and tolerance will prevail."

Posted by Jessica at November 4, 2004 10:47 PM