Comments: OUTRAGE!

Do a search for "taken t-shirt" on Google and my website and online shop are the first two results. The Knot isn't anywhere on the first three pages of results, again leading me to believe that my shirt has been around longer.

Posted by The Groom at March 24, 2004 11:34 AM

My vote is for situation #3. I think you were ripped off. I can't believe it! Imagine the stink that "the knot" might put up if you were the one stealing their idea. Outrageous. No other word describes it better.

p.s- I'll be buying my shirt from you!

Posted by Tim at March 24, 2004 11:45 AM

Those rat bastards! Here's my proposal for your next shirt offering: "I went to the Knot and all I got was this lousy T-shirt whose design was stolen from me".

Posted by Francis at March 24, 2004 12:10 PM

what the hell? that sucks. you should sue or get a cease and desist.

Posted by alex at March 24, 2004 12:17 PM

Dude, you were ripped off.
I feel bad because I found your site through one of the posts you put on the Knot message boards. I haven't been back to the Knot in a while, but I visit your site every day. My taken t-shirts will be from your store. I prefer the original to a cheap knock off.

Posted by Christina at March 24, 2004 12:46 PM

Don't they know it's a sin to steal? (this coming from a Catholic School administrator)

Posted by Pam at March 24, 2004 12:58 PM

They were selling "taken" *thongs* a long time ago, I am sorry to tell you. Teeshirts, though, I don't remember about. (This came up on indiebride as a "this is gross!" "no, this is cute!" fight a while back.)

Posted by Abigail at March 24, 2004 01:18 PM

Okay, you made me do it; I am at work but HAD to go the the knot site....at least you don't sell tacky thongs that state a woman's pubic area is taken....ewwwwwwwww. Your blog and your product is such a class act.

Posted by Pam at March 24, 2004 01:29 PM

You SO got taken! (Sorry...) I think you should threaten to sue them. Take them to small claims court for $3000. http://www.tenant.net/Court/Howcourt/sclaim.html. They'll most likely just settle and then you and L can have a bunch of honeymoon spending money.

Posted by P at March 24, 2004 04:35 PM

Thanks, Abigail, for the investigation. In the interest of full disclosure, I'll post an update today. So the powers that be at TheKnot are not as nefarious as I formerly believed, but then again, a thong with the word "taken" across the front? I agree with Pam. Strikes me as a little gross and hardly becoming of a bridal site that otherwise runs towards the classier side of things.

Posted by The Groom at March 24, 2004 04:36 PM

I actually find the thong very creepy too, whereas I do not find the teeshirt creepy. And this, speaking as someone who owns two pairs of thong panties with "breakfast" on the crotch! Yes, I am the epitome of class, and yes, it's a long story.

Posted by abigail at March 24, 2004 05:26 PM

does anyone else find the headless woman in the picture really really really creepy?

Posted by steve at March 24, 2004 05:32 PM

so i went all over the knot last night and noticed something. no black people anywhere. every picture of a bride and groom is a white couple.

Posted by alex at March 25, 2004 08:26 AM

I'm willing to ante up money for your legal defense!! The Knot is owned by AOL, and I'd love to see them get their just desserts on this one.

Posted by Laura at March 25, 2004 10:46 AM

Hey everyone, please read the update on the post. It seems it was more or less a coincidence. I won't need Johnnie Cochran - "Don't Be Mistaken, The T-Shirt's Taken" - to help in any legal case. I still thank you all for your comments and emails and also thank the people who bought my sweatshop-free women's baby doll shirts as a show of support!

Posted by The Groom at March 25, 2004 01:29 PM

Well, there is another advantage as well. If I recall, the point of your t-shirt was to give the groom something to show his status. Does the Knot even have mens' sizes? For the t-shirt.... I don't want to know if they have it for the thong.....

Posted by Malinda (trevor.net) at March 25, 2004 02:01 PM

I have 3 words to say...... I hate theknot!

Sounds like a potiential law suit! hmmmmmm.....

Posted by leanne at March 26, 2004 01:43 AM

Have you considered a "Taken" tie - much more suitable for formal events and other occasions when a T-Shirt just won't do. A clever design which is not immediately noticeable as the word "Taken" would be a very marketable item....

Posted by M#1 at March 26, 2004 04:24 PM

Funny thing this "taken" T-shirt :-P. I saw you through lauren's blog.

Posted by Mario at April 3, 2004 12:41 AM