September 23, 2007

Mime, Not Yours

Marcel Marceau, the famed mime, died yesterday.

The irony of it all is that he'll now spend the rest of eternity trapped in a box.

Posted by Doug at 10:35 AM

September 20, 2007

Stand Clear of the Closing Doors

The MTA has announced plans to wire all 277 subway stations in New York City for cell phone service.

Great. So now instead of people blocking the stairways down to the stations as they finish their cell phone calls, they will block the doors to the trains themselves. "Listen, I gotta go. I'm getting on the train." Thanks, MTA!

Posted by Doug at 02:33 PM

September 17, 2007

A Cliche Grows in Brooklyn

Gothamist adds to the growing list of headlines about Brooklyn that use the "A _____ Grows In Brooklyn" template with its reports on a rumored Apple Store in the borough of Kings.

Posted by Doug at 12:17 PM

September 15, 2007

Hungry

Not that I'm turning this into a food blog, but I've started photographing dishes I've been making lately and posting the results on Flickr. Where the recipe is my own, I'll post it under the picture. If it's not mine, I'll link to it. So far, Mark Bittman's tomato paella, via Luisa, and pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, via my mom.

Posted by Doug at 02:11 PM

September 13, 2007

And to our Jewish Friends...

I don't do much in the way of High Holiday observance, but, man, I'll probably be writing 5767 on my checks for at least a few more weeks.

Posted by Doug at 11:38 AM

September 04, 2007

Whoa, This is Heavy

Man, this makes me feel old. The Universal Studios ride based on Back to the Future has closed.

There is one potential way to save this attraction: if Disney can base an entire movie franchise on an outdated theme park ride and have it turn into an international box office smash, then why can't Universal base a movie on a theme park ride that was based on a movie? (Although that might depress me more; a remake of BTTF would send an iPod-carrying Marty McFly back to 1977.)