October 28, 2004

No One Bothered Us About the Brewers

If you got married recently, just be happy that your wedding didn't take place on the same night as game one of the World Series. According to the New York Post:

A Staten Island couple's dream of a perfect wedding at a Massachusetts inn turned into a nightmare when a Red Sox-loving busboy got drunk, chanted, "Yankees suck!" and threatened to beat up the groom and guests, according to police in Salem, Mass.

To make matters worse, the busboy banged on the bride's sister's hotel room door after the reception, cursing her out and making her so scared that she spent the night in the newleywed couple's room. While the scenario of a bride, groom and the bride's sister together in a hotel room might be the basis for a late night Cinemax movie, it probably was not a lot of fun for the people involved in Salem last weekend.

The couple plans to sue the hotel for some sort of compensation for their $6,000 reception.

Posted by The Groom at 10:40 AM | Comments (3)

He's Only Writing What You're Thinking

Veiled Conceit, "A glimpse into that haven of superficial, pretentious, pseudo-aristocratic vanity: The NY Times' Wedding & Celebrations Announcements."

This is, hands down, the nastiest, most mean-spirited web site I've ever come across. It's also hilarious and I'm adding it to my regular reads. The site's creator essentially gives voice to what is probably a weekly ritual among the Times' many readers. As he writes:

This blog was started as nothing more than an outlet for the petulant umbrage that most people feel when they read the NY Times Weddings and Celebration Announcements.

Like him, the Weddings and Celebrations sections is one of my guilty pleasures, and I've shared my mixed feelings about the pages before. I'm only glad that so far it seems as if Veiled Conceit missed our announcement in August.

Via The Standing Room.

October 27, 2004

Oops

Here's a correction from the New York Times wedding announcements.

October 26, 2004

Pictures!

Our photographer sent us a book of our photo proofs. Figured I'd start sharing some of them with you to give you a look at everything I have been describing for the past year.

Here's a good shot of what the tables looked like. I would recommend that if you are hiring a photogrpaher, you instruct him to take pictures of details like this. Because we were so busy running around to greet all our guests, we never got a good look at some of the details we had worked so long to plan.

tablewithflowers.jpg

Here's the cake, the result of many tastings. Because some of our guests had to leave early to catch planes on Sunday evening and because we didn't start serving the cake until late in the reception, the entire bottom tier was left over. L's mom served it at a party last month.

colorcake.jpg

More pics to follow.

October 20, 2004

Back in the Saddle

From the Onion:

Recently Married Man Ready to Start Dating Again.

October 19, 2004

Registry to the Star

What does the woman who can afford everything ask for from her wedding guests? Why, everything!

According to the New York Post, Star Jones has not only been able to get companies to provide free products and services for her wedding, but she's also registered for some pretty pricey loot, including $1,000 sheets. Says Page Six, "One item on Jones' 'wish list' is a George IV-style silver tray from Tiffany costing almost $11,000."

I might understand the cost if the tray had actually been owned by George IV - I hear he had some fairly nice trays - but it's only a "George IV-style" silver tray. Let's hear it for Star Jones, who proves the old Oscar Wilde adage that some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

Jeez. The most expensive thing we registered for was probably a KitchenAid Mixer.

October 18, 2004

A Ring Thing

I have spent a lot of time playing with my wedding ring over the past month and a half. I turn it around my finger, pull it on and off and find myself touching it all the time. In much the same way someone might scratch his chin or twiddle a pen when lost in thought, I frequently play with my ring when my hands are free. My more experienced friends tell me this is common practice among newly married men.

It seems that getting used to being married has been a heck of a lot easier than getting used to wearing a ring. I like wearing it, I like how it looks and I like what it symbolizes, but I'm simply not used to wearing jewelry.

I wear a watch but never find it crucial to wear since my cell phone is perfectly capable of telling the time. Perhaps that's why guys don't wear a lot of jewelry in general. Men like multi-function devices: the Swiss Army Knife, the Treo 600, the recliner with a built-in cooler. Other than its role as a symbol of marriage, you may be shocked to learn that a ring doesn't really do much of anything. It may be metal, but so far I haven't been able to use it to increase my cell phone reception.

Because I knew I would play with it a lot, I didn't have the ring sized when L and I bought it. I knew I'd be taking it on and off and didn't want to have to gnaw it off my finger if it felt uncomfortable. The ring has a tendency to slide around a bit, especially when my finger shrinks down a bit in cold places like my over air conditioned office. As a result, I've been a little nervous about losing it. On subway platforms and in other situations where I might not be able to recover a dropped ring, I move my hand into what I call the "Spider-Man" position: fingers curved with the tip of my ring finger touching my palm, as if I'm about to fire a web out of my wrist.

L thinks I'll lose my ring by December 17th because it isn't sized properly and because I'm simply not used to keeping track of a small piece of jewelry. I think I'll hold onto it well past then as I'm a sentimental guy and like to think I'll never lose the ring with which I was actually married. The winner treats the other to dinner. Look for the results in December.

Related:My First Bling

October 14, 2004

Heart to Heart

Lots of couples worry about potential problems or conflicts that could affect their wedding day. Rain that moves an outdoor ceremony indoors, a blizzard that strands wedding guests, or a drunk uncle who hits on bridesmaids are just a few of the inconveniences that could derail the most carefully laid plans of bride and groom.

But what about last-minute heart replacement surgery?

October 12, 2004

Boy, You're Going to Carry That Wife

wifecarry.jpg

We were too busy actually getting married to train for this, so we unfortunately missed the North American Wife Carrying Championship, a 278-yard obstacle course featuring teams of two where, you guessed it, one spouse carries the other over the length of the race.

Despite the event's name, a woman may carry a man, although so far no wife has shouldered the weight of her husband.

The prize for the event, in addition to cash, is the winner's wife's weight in beer. And no, I won't tell you how much we'd win if we entered. L would kill me.

October 11, 2004

Wedding Cakes by Little Debbie

Who needs butter cream? Here's a wedding cake made of Hostess snack cakes.

twinkiecake.jpg

What, Me Crazy?

From another wedding weblog I found recently:

Although wedding planning has been driving me slightly crazy, I am pleased to note that David and I are not as crazy as the author of PlanetGordon.com and his bride were when they were planning their wedding. We had never thought to care about what kinds of stamps will be on the invitations or RSVP cards. David and I discussed caring about this roughly a second ago. It took us that long to decide that we really couldn’t care. We’re busy caring about other stuff, like what kind of cake we want. We’re thinking chocolate.

I can take a knock, but I just have to wonder...

Caring about stamps = crazy.

Having a short discussion about whether or not to care about stamps = not crazy?

Not that there weren't things about wedding planning that drove me crazy.