Want a free, autographed copy of The Engaged Groom? It's easy! Just blog about my book and you might walk away as the big winner.
PlanetGordon.com is having its first-ever contest, all in the name of blatant promotion! Here's how it works:
1. On your personal* blog, post an entry that somehow mentions The Engaged Groom.**
2. In your entry, link to the book's official website.***
3. On February 1st, 2006, I'll check my referral logs. The blog entry that has directed the most individual visitors**** to EngagedGroom.com will win its author a free, autographed copy of the book, dedicated to the person of the winner's choosing.*****
4. After tallying the referral stats, I'll email the winning blog entry's author to get a mailing address. The book will be sent at my expense.******
5. I'll post an entry that links back to the winning blog. The entry will most likely link back to as many blogs as I can find that mention the book. It's win-win when you think about it.
Rules, Exceptions and other Information Which, Like the Information Presented at the End of a Car Commericial, May be Longer and More Detailed than the Text or Information Which Precedes It:
*Defining a blog as personal is ambiguous. While the various blogs on the New York Times website or Gawker are more than welcome and, in fact, encouraged to pimp my book, being moneymaking enterprises (if not for their writers than at least for their owners) they are not eligible for any prize, other than the satisfaction from doing a fellow writer a favor.
**I'd rather you not post something like, "Hey, I'm trying to win a contest, so will you please click on this link?" I can't tell you what to write, of course, but to paraphrase Han Solo in Return of the Jedi, post about the book, but don't look like you're trying to win the book. Post casual. Also, I will automatically disqualify anyone who uses the phrases "insult to the English language," "not what Gutenberg had in mind," "one hundred monkeys at one hundred typewriters" and "suitable for recycling" when referring to the book.
***You might be tempted to link to the book's Amazon page, especially if you are part of their affiliate program. Unfortunately, I don't have the technical ability to track referrals to Amazon from outside sites. Only Jeff Bezos could help me with that and we are no longer on speaking terms, nor were we ever.
****Yes, that's individual visitors. No sense posting a link and then clicking it twenty times unless you are exercising your index finger.
*****I will not, however, dedicate a book to anyone with the first initial "e" and last name "Bay."
******Unless you live in Canada, Europe, Tibet or French Polynesia. U.S. addresses only. I'm not spending $25 to mail a $14.95 book. First class mail all the way.
- Employees of PlanetGordon.com are not eligible. I have no employees.
- Gordon family members and the family members of my wife are not eligible. Relatives looking for a free book should consider that I will one day have children who will need food, clothing and a university education, unless they are a complete disappointment to both me, L and their grandparents and decide to live on a commune or do something really stupid, like that American Taliban kid. Talk about disappointing. Anyway, a freebie to family members who should be buying the book would, essentially, take food out of the mouths of my unborn and as-yet-unconceived children. Have you people no sense of decency? Really. Shame on you.
- Friends, however, are another story as many of them have blogs, some of which are quite popular, and I'd be a fool to not encourage them to post about my book for their probably vast, educated, handsome, and upwardly-mobile readership.
- Contest ends on midnight, January 31st, 2006. Unless I go to bed early and don't check the referral stats until the next day after work.
- In the event of the tie, it's sudden death. I'll check the stats each day until one person pulls ahead.
Let the games begin. Thanks and good luck!Posted by Doug at January 3, 2006 12:04 AM