February 05, 2004
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Although I don't know exactly who is reading this site at any one time, it is possible - through the miracle of technology available to everyone with a website - to find out how people get here. My control panel gives me a list of the top search strings, which are words and phrases typed into search engines like Google that result in PlanetGordon.com being listed as a match. Although the most common searches were quite basic - "grooms," "wedding blogs" or "groom sites," for example - there were a few that I found curious.
- planetgordon.com. If I were looking for planetgordon.com, wouldn't I just type "planetgordon.com" into my web browser? Typing a web address into a search engine to look for a web address seems so meta.
- what hand do you wear an engagement ring. Before I was engaged I don't know if I would have been confident of the answer to this one. I imagine a young man, planning out every step of the proposal, suddenly nervous that he won't remember where to put the ring once his girlfried says yes. A quick query to the Google gods would surely assuage his fear. It's a nice scenario and I hope that's what really happened.
- cut guest list high school friends wedding. It's too bad whoever typed this in was under pressure to trim his or her list. Then again, I don't imagine I'd ever type "cut guest list parents wedding" into Google.
- men are idiots. Even as a guy, I have to say it. You need the Internet to tell you this?
- debeers right hand diamond Looks like someone drank the Kool-Aid. It's a little disappointing that people are buying into the whole right-hand ring thing, but perhaps my rant on the subject persuaded the person who typed this in to think twice.
- is a man gay if he wears jewelry. Did someone think they'd get a definitive answer to this question on the Internet? Besides, using jewelry as a measure of a man's sexuality seems about as reliable as looking to a groundhog for a weather report.
If you are here as a result of one the above search strings, or even because you typed plata-ma-pus somewhere hoping to find more on Jessica Simpson, welcome! I'm glad to have you no matter what your question.
Posted by The Groom at February 5, 2004 04:40 PM
I just wanted to let you know I found you through theknot.com Someone from the Chicago board was reading your blog, and recommended it to the brides to share with grooms. My fiance has gotten a real kick out of your website!
Just wanted to let you know that if you get a counter from sitemeter (I swear I don't work for them or get money from them etc. etc.) it shows you all kinds of info like who used what site to find you, references, etc. etc. If you're into that. Just an FYI.
I also got your link from someone on TheKnot.com, but I can't say that my fiance has taken the time to read your blog! His loss, I keep telling him!!
Luckily, my groom loves your stuff so much, he put a XML feed on his website. So glad he is getting some enjoyment and humor during all this stress!
I found you through the Amalgamates website :)